Is this what you’ve been waiting all day for? This was as funny as when Dan Dierdorf said “are you ready for some football” during the 4th quarter of a Hall-of-Fame game broadcast. The 4-7 Giants, whom Chris Collinsworth just noted have given up 63 points off of returns, are playing the 3-8 Redskins, who can’t stop the run or pass.
Both teams suck this season, a fact that’s undeniable.
In that light, why are they here?
Did you notice the category called “Ratings Ho” is checked? NBC is whoring for ratings. These two teams have large followings, therefore they will get eyeballs on the screens. One missed the playoffs last season, the other had no business in them. The Giants have been in decline, and the Redskins have not improved other than having Bob Griffin go on an amazing stretch last season. If a team wasn’t as good as its record, it was Washington last season.
So here are the favorite teams you’ll see on Sunday night:
– Peyton Manning (has taken on LB James status as the entire team)
– Aaron Rodgers, who by the way, really is his own team. I told a guy on FB that if Rodgers wanted $30 million a year–guaranteed–the Packers would have to pay it, or be forced into 4-12 seasons forever.
– San Francisco (Al Michaels hometown)
– Dallas (their fans watch them no matter how badly they are mismanaged)
– New Orleans (A great place to visit)
– Seattle (They are good, and a very nice city to visit)
– The Jets (lots of fans in the media)
And the foils (teams NBC wants to get their butts kicked):
– New England
– The NFC East, mostly against Dallas
– The AFC West, except for Peyton Manning
Here’s some places they don’t visit very often:
– Jacksonville (not like the Jags are horrible or anything). Speaking of which, the Jags won back-to-back games, including an excellent game against Cleveland today, for the first time since 2010. I find that stunning, since the Jacksonville team I saw in Oakland didn’t look like they would win a single game all season. I’m actually pulling for the Jags, since Gus Bradley is a really good guy and is going to be an excellent head coach in the NFL.
Too funny, Al Michaels just discussed Bob Griffin’s dad coming into the locker room and he said newspapers have to fill space. Like you don’t?